contests

"A Writers Life For Me" Tag

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Hello friends.

It's been a long few weeks, but I'm back to the blogging world.  Many thanks to Alexa Winters for this tag - and for graciously giving me time to finish it. :)



What Kind Of Writer Are You?

I love so many different kinds of writing. Short stories. Novellas. Novels. Articles and editorials. Travel writing.  Most of all, I like writing about ordinary experiences and family complexities.

When Did You Start Writing? What Made You Want To Try It?

I began writing in kindergarten. My first piece was on George Washington and the Cherry Tree. I guess I was always inclined to historical fiction!  Since then (which was about fifteen years ago now...so weird) I've done historical fiction, fantasy, steampunk, mystery and many other styles.


What Inspires Your Stories?

Travel. People. People's stories. Beauty and art.

What Themes Do You Like To Explore In Your Writing?

I love writing about social issues, be it racial reconciliation, addiction, gender roles.

Are You A Pantser, A Plotter, or A Bit Of Both?
A plotter. But sometimes I like to be surprised.

Where Are You At In Your Writing Journey? Querying? Agenting? Published?
Erm...it's been a long process.

But...



Have You Ever Entered Any Writing Contests? Finaled? Won?
Yes, I've entered quite a few writing contests. I've won 2nd place at the Wheaton College undergraduate writing contest for fiction for the past two years.

Who Are Your Writer Heroes?
Flannery O'Connor, Toni Morrison, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, C.S. Lewis, Emily Dickinson

Have You Ever Been To A Writing Conference? Share Your Best and Worse Experiences.
Yes, twice to the ICRS show (once back when it was called CBA). Loved it. My favorite part was seeing Jerry Jenkins (author of Left Behind) slash through first page submissions. 

Top 3 Tips You’d Give To Newbie Writers:
1) Being better or worse than someone else doesn't make you any more or less of a writer.
2) Surround yourself by people who do what you want to do. Strive for excellence in the craft itself, not preemptive recognition. 
3) Listen to criticism, but stand up for your art.


Thanks for the tag, Alexa @ Summer Snowflakes!

The rules: 
Answer the questions
Share the picture
Link back to the person who tagged you
Tag new people!






You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Yay, so glad you did the tag! :D I especially love that last tip for newbie writers. Like /yes/. That is perfect. Listening to criticism is important, but you don't always have to take it.
    Thanks for doing the tag! :D


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, girl, for tagging me! Sorry it took so long - I really do love these things though. Hope you're doing well!!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! I've followed and can't wait to read more posts!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY got around to it! Thanks for tagging me! :)

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this! I hope it's not too late to do this tag. I'd love to answer the questions! x

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Mario Run Coins Hack Our team just created the Generator Tool Online that will help you to get free Coins in no time.
    Access Online Generator: Super Mario Run Glitch Get completely free no cost 14,000 Coins Today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summon Rush Hack is new online tool created to make the game easier for you.
    Summon Rush Hack!

    ReplyDelete