forgiveness

Writing As...Reconciliation

Monday, November 03, 2014

For the first time ever, I regretted a blog post.

Why?  I was acting like the greatest hypocrite.  Words were used to hurt me, so I turned to my words to channel everything.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but looking back after seeking counsel and prayer, I realized that my motivation was lacking.  It wasn't shared from a place of humility or vulnerability.  It was shared from broken bitterness.

But that's not the kind of person I want to be.  That's not the message I want to share!

So friends and writing companions, today I have a new message.  It's the same story.  The same hurt.  The same confusion from the depth of my heart.  But a new understanding.

It's quite simple:

Love is patient, love is kind.
Love does not envy,
is not boastful, is not conceited,
does not act improperly,
is not selfish, is not provoked,
and does not keep a record of wrongs.
1 Corinthians 13:4-5


Yesterday, I would have told you that this didn't apply to me.  That I had every right to be hurt and angry.  That I was justified.

But today, only by the grace of God in me, I tell you that I was wrong.  We are called to forgive and love those around us, not just those who treat us well.

Last night, I was comforting one of my friends and we began talking about the situations in our lives. I realized while I spoke that the advice I was giving her actually applied to me: "Don't retaliate.  Be above that."

And then, only a few minutes later, one of my dear friends posted something on Facebook which resonated with me.  She wrote that when someone hurts us and we truly forgive them, the Godly way we treat them shouldn't be any different than before.  No exclusions or justifications or false smiles masking how we feel.  Jesus holds no record of wrongs.  How could we?

Words can bring healing, yes, and reconciliation.  Maybe our words won't reconcile what was lost, but they can soften your heart and help you speak from a place of humble love.  I'm still hurting and I haven't forgotten what happened, but I'm learning to forgive because I know that it's the right thing to do.  I may have had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week but I serve a God who is marvelous, wonderful and always good!

Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
but rejoices in the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.

In my situation, I needed to be introspective and change my actions.  Today, I went back and softened my words from the first post, though I decided to leave a toned down version of the article up because of it's part of the story.  

And here's my challenge to you: What is your motivation for your action?  Are you living out the kind of message you believe in?  Are you using your words, your writing, for good and for reconciliation if need be?

May you find the strength to hope and endure all things in love today, too.  And maybe there is the pressing need for forgiveness in your life.  Would you give it freely, just as Christ gave for you.

Much love,

Ciera

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Brilliant post, Ciera! Such a true message


    Alexa S. Winters
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexa. I'm a firm believer in viewing art as a way of communication and expression - and also reconciliation.

      Delete