books

Myers Briggs in Book Characters — What's Your Personality Type?

Sunday, November 09, 2014

Friends, I have a new obsession.  Personality types.

It's just so fun! The more I've studied Myers Briggs, the more I have learned about myself and others. I believe that taking these tests gives insight into our personalities and how we approach challenges or process information.  It can highlight strengths we never noticed and illuminate weaknesses, too.  If you haven't taken Myers Briggs, I strongly encourage you to do so!  Most people can figure out a little bit about their personality type just by looking at the different categories, so I'll break it down for you.

There are 16 possible personality types that are grouped by strengths in how we find our energy, process the world, cope with emotions and approach challenge.

Extrovert (E) vs. Introvert (I)
Sensing (S) vs. Intuition (N)
Thinking (T) vs. Feeling (F)
Perception (P) vs. Judgment (J)

Extroverts are energized by social interaction, think while speaking and prefer group activities.
Introverts are exhausted by social interaction, think before speaking and prefer individual activities. 

Sensing individuals are down to earth, rely on their senses and focus on what has happened and practical matters.
Intuitive individuals are imaginative, rely on intuition and focus on ideas and on what might happen.

Thinking means that individuals follow their minds, focus on rationality and process information through analysis.
Feeling means that individuals are more sensitive, follow their hearts and focus on harmony and cooperation.

Perception means that someone is good at improvisation, keeps options open, seeks freedom, is more relaxed and less structured.
Judgment means that someone is decisive, prefers rules and structure, sees deadlines as crucial, is more organized and likes closure.

Are you already noticing aspects that remind you of yourself?


Now for the fun part.  How do we see these personality types in memorable works of fiction?

Myers Briggs in Fiction:

Belle - INTP The Architect 



Logical, original and creative.  Extremely capable and driven to apply theory into action.  Often places strong value on knowledge, independence and competence.  Tends to be quiet and reserved, difficult to get to know deeply, but is also less likely to actively pursue leadership.


Mr. Darcy - INTJ The Thinker



Independent, original, analytical and driven.  Values competence, high performance and intelligence. Tends to be very structured and logical and has very high expectations for themselves.  Natural leaders, but willing to follow if they trust others.


Jane Eyre - INFJ The Counselor 



Softly confident, sensitive and peaceful.  Works at something with diligence until the task is complete.  Strongly intuitive and concerned about the feelings and personal lives of others.  Respected for perseverance, individualism and high standards of right and wrong.


Snow White - INFP The Idealist



Creative, calm and usually optimistic.  Interested in serving others before themselves and usually very humble.  Has well-developed values and is extremely loyal.  Main goal is understanding and helping others because of a strong desire to be relational.


Katniss Everdeen - ISTJ The Inspector 


Serious, reserved and interested in establishing peace.  Typically is responsible, dependable and diligent at work.  Has an acute sense of focus and concentration and is well-organized and determined to reach a goal.


Dr. Watson - ISFJ The Protector 



Conscientious, dependent and loyal.  Good at following through with tasks.  Extremely perceptive on the feelings of others and desires to be useful in serving. Stable, practical and follows traditional values.

(In case you're wondering, Sherlock would be either INTJ or INTP.)


Harry Potter - ISTP The Craftsman


Observant, attentive, action-oriented and usually interested in the mechanics behind why things work.  Usually skilled at detail-oriented tasks and prone to be risk-takers who thrive off of adrenaline.  Incredibly loyal and not interested in sticking to the rules if they happen to get in the way.  Excels at finding solutions to problems.


Beth March - ISFP The Composer 



Quiet, serious, sensitive and kind.  Non-confrontational and goes to great lengths to avoid conflict.  Has a strong appreciation for beauty and usually enjoys the arts.  Lives in the moment and is not easily moved by stress or anxiety.


 Scarlett O'Hara - ENTJ The Commander 



Assertive, outspoken and driven to lead.  Excellent ability to discern problems and create solutions.  Intelligent and values performance, but usually has little patience for inefficiency.  Strategic, well-spoken and quick-witted.


Augustus Waters - ENTP The Visionary 



Creative, resourceful and witty.  Good at many things and enjoys debating issues.  Gets very excited about new projects and may often neglect the everyday routine of life.  Outspoken and assertive, friendly and enjoys stimulating conversation.  Strong ability to empathize and understand.

(Most of you probably know I feel about The Fault In Our Stars, which you can read about here, but he does make a great character profile!)


Jay Gatsby - ENFJ The Giver



Popular but sensitive, idealistic with keen social skills.  Focused on values and ambitious vision and is usually concerned about the wellbeing of others.  Effective at management but tends to view things from the perspective of those around them.  Dislikes being alone and places the needs of others above their own.


Jo March - ENFP The Champion



Enthusiastic, idealistic and imaginative.  Has an aptitude for a wide range of skills and strives to live in accordance with personal values.  Easily inspired by new ideas.  Open-minded and ambitious, but often competitive.


Hermione Granger - ESTJ The Supervisor 



Practical, traditional, conservative and organized.  Interested in theoretical ideas as long as there is a practical application.  Has a clear vision of the way things ought to be and likes to be in charge.  Incredibly capable in terms of leadership and strongly values organization.


 Bilbo Baggins - ESFJ The Provider



Energetically dedicated to their work.  Has a sense of harmony and cooperation and is eager to please and provide.  Relationships are their top priority and they are generous with time and emotions.  Tend to be practical and enjoy routine schedule.


Tom Sawyer - ESTP The Dynamo 



Friendly, adaptable and energetic.  Focused on immediate results rather than longterm goals.  Lives a fast paced lifestyle full of adventure and often ignores structure.  Often impatient, but extremely loyal with great people skills.


Peter Pan - ESFP The Performer 



People-oriented, fun loving and joyful.  Enjoys new experiences, spontaneity and living in the moment.  Likely to be the center of attention and has a warm enthusiasm for life.  They're often playful, funny and bring out the best in others.


Now see if you can guess what you are!  

You can find out more information here about all of the different types.  I know that I've already learned so much about myself from studying personality tests.  It's made me more aware of the feelings of others because I can anticipate how they will respond to certain situations.

In case you're wondering, I am a strong INTJ, which is actually the rarest female personality type.  Yes, I realize that my character reference is Mr. Darcy...which is laughable.  But knowing my personality type helps me pinpoint certain strengths, such as as determination and organization.  But it also helps me be aware of areas of potential growth, such as living in the moment, being relaxed and not always having a calculated, systematic checklist for life.

So comment and share what you are! Do you agree with the characters I chose?  Do you have others?

-Ciera

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I always get INTJ when I take the tests online too, but I don't think that's accurate. I'd think of myself more of an ISFJ. I like your character choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yay, another INTJ! I only know two others :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I love Myers-Briggs personality types, too! :) I got ISFJ when I took the test in college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of ISFJ personality types - that's so great! I think that personality types are really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the characters you chose are very accurate (of the ones I've read and watched). Especially Mr. Darcy, Scarlett O'Hara, and Beth March. :)
    I've always been fascinated by personality types. Mine is ISFJ. Lol. I also enjoy figuring out my characters' personality types. It really helps me to have an overall description of them that I can just fine-tune to make them unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same - and Myers Briggs is my favorite personality test. I've found it to be very helpful in my own life and with writing, too.

      Delete
  5. Wow this is a really wonderful post Ciera! I remember being obsessed with Myer Briggs a few years ago and getting all of my friends to do them! It is really interesting and does reveal interesting things that are quite accurate in some cases about the people around you. I'm an ENFJ, which is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously obsessed with Myers Briggs right now - and also the Enneagram which is a little more individualized. I think that personality tests help us be self-reflective and can also help with character development, too.

      Delete
  6. I think I have an ENTP personality. I loved how you chose characters and determined their personality traits, and I definitely agree with them as well, though I've never read Finding Mr Darcy before (and I think I really should!). Fantastic post Ciera :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia! I'm just so in love with Myers Briggs - it's been interesting to hear some of my friends disagree or agree with my selections because it can be pretty subjective. But it's still so much fun. :)

      Delete
  7. Love this! I used to be super into Myers Briggs and the like. I'm ISFJ. I really liked taking all the personality tests I could get my hands on, they really do tell you a lot about yourself. I'm also kind of into horoscopes. Agree with your character picks, especially Snow White and Gatsby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It was so much fun to find characters to match. I think I'll start doing this for my own characters I write about, too.

      Delete
  8. Heh.. I have the same personality type as Harry Potter. Although I have yet to read these books, my blogger cohorts tell me great things about him! So I guess that's a good thing (:
    Great, interesting post!
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter is definitely worth it - I was really late reading them, too, but then I ordered the books from London (original publication) and now I'm such a fan!

      Delete
  9. The only ones I'm absolutely sure about for me are I and J lol. S, N, F, and T all seem like they could describe some part of my personality. But I think probably INTJ or INFJ. So yay, we both could be Darcy!


    Alexa S. Winters
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you could be pretty balanced on the others - for me, the difference between S and N is the hardest to distinguish. And F and T can depend on the situation. But it's so much fun to think about and consider!

      Delete
  10. I believe Jay Gatsby is an INTJ. Maybe INFJ, but definitely not very extroverted. He never showed up to his own parties. And more concerned with his own beliefs/realities than the actual here and now (N, not S).
    Also see: http://funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com/post/99412796052/the-great-gatsby-jay-gatsby-intj for the cognitive function analysis.

    ReplyDelete