books

Book Sales, Lattes and Other Fall Things

Sunday, September 28, 2014

My dear friends, I am in love with Chicago in the fall.

There is something fresh and crisp in the air, like the hanging promise of new beginnings. At random moments, I feel the sudden urge to be poetic and spend my days in the quaint parks of the city. Fall makes me want to feel cultured so I am filled with a renewed desire to appreciate art, literature and music.


I feel rather like the Meg Ryan character from one of my mother's favorite movies, You've Got Mail, when I begin my monologue about the city in autumn.  But it's quite true. Classes are starting. School supplies are being bought.  Sweaters and boots are brought out of storage.  Starbucks changes its drinks menu. Pumpkins are being sold on the street vendors.

Fall also makes me want to venture out from campus.

Today, my roommate Abriel and I went to a used book sale today at the Wheaton Public Library and I was overjoyed to discover that every book was being sold for only 50 cents. Needless to say, the English major went a little crazy.

Ciera's Amazing Book Finds For Only $4!

1. Madame Bovary

Written by Flaubert, Madame Bovary is one of the most famous French novels of all time and I've never read it.

2. Ethan Frome (1938 edition!)

This is one of my favorite stories ever! It's a novella about a married man who falls in love with his wife's younger cousin and faces a moral dilemma on whether or not to stay with his domineering wife or pursue love.  The psychological analysis is brilliant.

3. James Dickey poems

He's my Dad's favorite writer and the author of Deliverance. James Dickey was so significant and influential in his day, and in my Dad's life, that I figured I should read some of his work.

4. Short stories by Guy de Maupassant

I had never heard of de Maupassant until today, but I started reading his stories today while we lounged in the park near our school.  He was a French writer who helped establish the modern short story — and his stories are beautifully written.

5. The Daydreamer by Ian McEwan

Because Ian McEwan is amazing. Enough said.

6. The Memory Keeper's Daughter

It was a New York Times bestseller and I've heard good things. I'll post a review when I finish it.

7. Eat, Pray, Love

Because it was only 50 cents and I can't say no to books.

8. A writing manual

Because...writing.



It was a good day — and it's been in the 70s all week, so I've been incredibly thankful for this Florida-esque weather!

How have you been stacking your shelves?
What are your favorite things about fall?

 -Ciera



You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Fall is my favorite season too. Your right it gives me this renewed love of the arts also. I think my favorite thing about fall is probably walking through the woods and hearing all the leaves crunch underneath my shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love walking through the woods...it's so refreshing to get away from the world sometimes! I also love being in the mountains when the trees are changing colors.

      Delete
  2. Hi! We are so glad you found some gems at our Friends Book Sale. Would you mind if I shared this blog post on the library's Facebook page?
    Thanks,
    Eileen Crowley, Wheaton Public Library

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fall because it gets cooler and because fall foods are awesome. Plus, it's the start of the holiday season and I have my birthday. :D
    I recently won Jill Williamson's Safe Lands trilogy in a giveaway. I just started book 3 and these books are AMAZING.


    Alexa S. Winters
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome - I haven't heard of those books but I always love giveaways. When's your birthday?!

      Delete
    2. They're great!
      And my birthday is the 28th of this month :)

      Delete