book list

Top Ten Tuesday! 10 Books I Want to Read This Summer

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

What time is it?  Summer time!

I can't believe I just quoted High School Musical – I guess some things never change.  Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm joining The Broke and the Bookish today for this week's theme, 10 books that will be in my beach bag.  I'm home in beautiful Florida for the summer and trying to devour as many books as possible.  In between blogging, writing for WhatCulture, working on The Time Racers, working on debate prep for the Verdict club camp and driving my siblings around Orlando, I've had few amounts of time to just sit back and take in a book.  But my goal is 10 books this summer, which I'm hoping is possible.


GOAL: 10

READ SO FAR: 1


Okay, I know it looks bad.  But I'm on the right track (I hope).

So here are my top ten choices of books to read this summer.  Be sure to comment below with what you've been reading!


1. The Book Thief


This is my third post referencing the dazzling New York Times best seller by Markus Zusak.  So, you should all know that I really love this novel.  It's honestly the best I've read in quite a while.  The Book Thief is the only one I've read so far on my list of 10.  Only 9 more to go, right?  




2. The Fault In Our Stars

I am way too behind in reading this 2012 book by John Green.  It follows the story of sixteen year old Hazel who attends a cancer support group, where she meets and falls in love with Augustus Waters.  The title comes from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, where Cassius declares, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."  

My goal in this book: DON'T CRY. 
I probably won't succeed, but I'll let you know.


3. Cinder

Yay for steampunk books!  Cinder is a steampunk fairytale novel about a cyborg Cinderella and it's the first in the Lunar Chronicles.  Sci-fi and classic fairytales?  Two of my favorite things.  I plan to read this book to better understand the genre more than anything else.





4. Gone With The Wind

This might be an unrealistic book on my list.  Margaret Mitchell's classic novel comes in at 1,037 pages.  Still, it's a novel I have always wanted to read because I love the writing style and character development in Scarlett and Rhett Butler.  Who doesn't want to read about Tara and Scarlett's long and complex romantic pursuits?  





5. Atonement


Note: I do not sign off on any possible content in this book.  

However, I am a new fan of Ian McEwan (author of Saturday) and I would love to read this novel, which was turned into a movie starring Keira Knightley.  McEwan is a word magician.  He has a masterful style that is vivid and imaginative and I'm excited to read more of his work.




6. Uglies


I've had my eye on this book for quite a while now.  This dystopian novel is about a culture where everyone is fixed to look perfect through cosmetic surgery.  One girl decides to challenge the norm of turning into a "Pretty".  This novel addresses important themes such as acceptance and identity.






7. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief


I admit, I've never read Percy Jackson.  I tried three times to get through book one but it simply wasn't my style; however, I am determined to study Rick Riordan's humor!  I so admire his ability to weave wit into the narrative, so I want to read Percy Jackson more as a study than anything else.





8. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


For my English class on grief and elegy this past year, we watched the movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which followed a young boy on an epic adventure trying to solve a mystery left behind by his father, who died in 9/11.  The screenplay was so compelling that I now really must go read the book itself!





9. Tiger Lily


I have heard so many things about Jodi Lynn Anderson's Tiger Lily, which tells the story of Peter's first love...before there was Wendy Darling.  I love fairytale prequels like Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, so I'm interested to see what Anderson offers with Tiger Lily.






10. Leviathan 


As I've been doing research into the steampunk genre for The Time Racers, I have seen Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld come up again and again.  Leviathan is an alternative history novel set in a steampunk version of World War I.  The story itself sounds fascinating and would be a unique perspective into a different kind of steampunk novel.


So there you have it.  The top 10 books I plan to read this summer.  Is it possible? I hope so.  Will it happen?  We'll see.  Maybe I'll even read more than 10. ;)

What's on your book list for the summer?
 -Ciera 

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Nice list. I'll have to steal some of these for my reading list too. You know I love The Book Thief and I can't get enough of Gone With The Wind. I read it a few years ago and got whisked right into it, the length didn't bother me. Especially since I began to read it again immediately after finishing the first time. The Percy Jackson series is fun. The style is definitely geared towards a younger reader but the wit makes the plot skip along. My favorite aspect, however, are all the nods, both overt and subtle, to the Greek mythology that I love so well. I just finished reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte and now I am on to Middlemarch by George Eliot.

    acuriousthrill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but I do love the Bronte sisters. (Jane Eyre is my favorite!) I'm really looking forward to reading a wide range of styles this summer. :)

      Delete
  2. You're working for debate prep with Verdict (my club)?! Surely, you don't mean our July camp...? ;)

    And I have the '50 Core Documents' book from Ashland University to read over the summer; it's a comprehensive account of original texts -- and practically a prerequisite for Hillsdale. Can't wait to immerse in the historical writings of such brilliant men as Jefferson, Madison and Washington (among others)! :) Nationals prep has stymied that particular reading for this week though; I've resorted to court dockets instead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will be teaching LD at the Verdict camp this summer. :)
      And goodness...that sounds like a difficult read! Good luck preparing for Nationals!

      Delete
  3. Hey Ciera, thanks for dropping by my blog!

    I'm glad you loved The Book Thief, so beautiful & sad! And I hope you enjoy Cinder, it's a fun read!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Mands! I'm so excited to read Cinder. I've heard such good things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read Gone with the Wind, Atonement, and The Fault in our Stars. I've read The Book Thief so many times. It's beautiful and it destroyed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to get started on my booklist! And I know!! I wasn't too satisfied with the ending of The Book Thief but the writing was just so brilliant.

      Delete
  6. Oohh, I've read so many of these and SO MUCH LOVE for Tiger Lily and TFIOS and Percy Jackson and Cinder! I haven't read The Book Thief yet, but I adored the movie. Meaning: I cried a lot. And Uglies? Eh, that'd be the only one I didn't get on with very well. I felt the characters were kind of flat, but that could just be me!! I hope you enjoy them all during your summer. x)
    Cait @ Notebook Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Thief is DEFINITELY worth it!! I can honestly say it's the best book I've read in quite a while.
      And thanks for the heads up about Uglies - that was my last addition to the list, so I may exchange it for something else. We'll see ;)

      Delete
  7. Ooh, the first three are all excellent choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get working on my list! I've already finished the first two.

      Delete
  8. I've read Cinder, the Percy Jackson series, and Leviathan. They're all awesome!
    I'll probably read the Divergent trilogy, the Heroes of Olympus series, and reread the Tiger's Curse series this summer. Already working on the last two!


    Alexa Skrywer
    alexaskrywer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mixed feelings about reading Divergent - I'm not sure what I'll think about it. But I've enjoyed many of the books on this list already!

      Delete
    2. I would love to hear what you have to say about Divergent because I enjoyed the first one and I am in the middle of the second. The writing style is very simplistic, but I think the story line is interesting. I also just started The Book Thief and I'm liking it so far :) Thanks for the recommendations, Ciera! I love reading your posts! :)

      Delete
    3. I was a bit skeptical, too, but I've enjoyed Divergent so far. It's pretty interesting.


      Alexa Skrywer
      alexaskrywer.blogspot.com

      Delete