education

You Know You're a Homeschooler If...

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Yeah, I was homeschooled.
#nerdstatus
Since coming to college, I have noticed that there are about three questions people ask to get to know you.  And you get to know a lot of new people, so you get asked (and ask) these things quite a bit.

"What's your name?"
"Where are you from?"
"Where'd you go to school?"

If you move past those three questions, you're really heading somewhere. (Seriously, though.)

And since my answer to the third question is almost never what they expect, I usually get strange looks and various responses like...

"I would never have guessed."
"Really?! Did you like it?"
"But you're actually normal."

At this, I proceed to tell them about how homeschooling has changed my life, providing the opportunity to go through high school in a way that gave my family more control and flexibility over my education.

My fellow homeschoolers and I have learned how to operate in a world that doesn't always understand us.

So, you know you're a homeschooler if...


You take a break in the middle of school to fold laundry.


You do homework in your pajamas.


Everything is potentially an "educational" moment.


The whole family gets involved on projects.


Photo courtesy of thepioneerwoman.com

Your school bus is a minivan.  (Or a legit van.)


You're always explaining to people that, no, you're not skipping school, you're just out on a spontaneous field trip.


You consider shows like "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" to be a learning opportunity.

You've made history crafts like painting King Tut's mask, sculpting a mummy's sarcophagus, building a Viking ship, designing a model of Jamestown or replicating a miniature Trojan horse.  (Yes, we did all of these.)


Your entire house becomes a massive school room.


You can play an instrument.  Probably piano.  Or violin.


There are science fair projects living in your refrigerator.


Teacher and Mom are synonymous.



You read for fun.


You decide to wait to date.


Your summer becomes an extension of your school year.


A school dance looks more like an English Country ball.




You call the room with the bookcases the library.


You go on college visits for vacation.


Your Mom made you take Latin. (Still not over this one.)


You compete in speech and debate for fun.


All your friends say they're jealous of your "freedom," to which you just laugh.


Your Mom has hosted SAT prep classes and made you go.  Every single time.  (Not over this one, either ;)


You learned a lot from Carmen Sandiego, JumpStart, Nest Entertainment and VeggieTales.


You find it hilarious when people ask if you're unsocialized.


One of your yearly highlights is going to the homeschool convention.


You've been to a history fair. (And liked it.)


The words "Saxon Math" give you nightmares.


You enjoy dressing up in historical costumes, which you happen to collect.






















I'm such a homeschooler.

And I'm incredibly thankful for the way my experiences have shaped who I am.

If you're a homeschooler, what would you add to this list?

-Ciera

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. You know you are a home schooler if you excitedly choose (in your own free will) to research the intricacies of the UN's procurement system when travelling to the beach with your family - and enjoy every minute of it. :) ...Though that probably falls under the "doing speech and debate for fun" category. Love and miss you girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely done that! Do you compete in the NCFCA?! If so, what region?

      Delete
    2. UN procurement system? I have a feeling that it's Sarah J from Region 8 -- she ran a procurement affirmative last year in team policy. :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak to the being a homeschooler part (since I was public schooled) but I CAN speak to being the mom/teacher of a home school:

      You adore your teenage children (and their friends) and your idea of fun is spending time with these incredibly lovely, intelligent, and engaging people!

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure homeschool students feel the same way! I know I do! ;)

      Delete
  3. Vacations during the off-seasons...yay! And no snow-days. If you can get down the stairs, you can do school. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes!! So true!
      Except, I've never had a snow day because I'm from Florida. And even here in Wheaton, Illinois, they haven't canceled school yet despite all of the snow we've had.

      Delete
    2. Where I live, we got pummeled with snow this winter...so much that the public schools almost ran out of snow days. :P

      Delete
  4. Found out about this blog through your post on Twitter with the #NCFCA hashtag. I've been a Community Judge for the NCFCA for the last year and a half. It's exceptionally enjoyable for me to be a part of the process. I tell everyone I can to participate.

    Your experiences as a homeschooler sound alot like my experiences as an Entrepreneur. Being able to manage your own schedule and relish in what you learn are essential to being successful in college, business and life. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting! Thank you so much for volunteering as a judge for the NCFCA - none of what we do would be possible without people like you. I competed for five years and over my competitive seasons, I competed in debate and every single speech event...except Humorous. ;)

      And I think you've brought up a really great point about entrepreneurship. The lessons we learn in homeschooling are incredibly applicable to the business world in training young people how to be personally driven and motivated by goals they set for themselves. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. you have watched the Princess Bride over a million times and can confidently quote most of it. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also you find yourself working until 8 o'clock at night or later because of the lack of set schedule

      Delete
    2. Yes and YES! I didn't realize how much Princess Bride had a devoted following until I came to college. And I definitely know what you mean about working at night - but I've also found that working out my own time management through homeschooling has been really beneficial in transitioning to freshman year.

      Delete
  6. Awesome post!
    You know you're a homeschooler if you've never once had to pass a note. Or if the principal was also known as Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love those! That's definitely applicable. ;)

      Delete
  7. You know you're a homeschooler if....

    -Your principal is your Dad.
    -Your only fines are overdue fines at the library

    ReplyDelete