Keep Moving Forward

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Have you ever had that one dream you've dreamt since you were a child?

I've had many.  But one was always to perform as a Disney princess.



Growing up, Disney was like my playground.  My Dad worked in marketing for youth events and we lived in Orlando, the tourist capitol of the world.  Disney was magical for me - a place of fantasy and fairytales.  

This weekend, I flew back home from Chicago for an audition with Disney entertainment.  I'd auditioned this past Christmas for the first time and they actually chose me!  I made the first few cuts, but they weren’t hiring seasonal workers at the time. So I was hopeful that things would be more in my favor.

But it was not meant to be.  I didn’t even make the first cut this time.

Still, I learned so much from this experience that I want to share with you all.

Sometimes, you just have to try.  
Even when the odds aren’t in your favor, you should still go for it!  Wouldn’t it be better to look back and know that at least you made an effort, instead of wishing you had just tried?

It’s about timing.  
Though Belle is by far my favorite princess—she’s a brunette who loves to read, so no surprise there—they actually had wanted me for Snow White last time.  And I discovered this time around that they were cutting Snow White’s hours to make room for Anna and Elsa.  So some things are out of your control.

It’s also about perseverance.  I met several girls who have auditioned for years to be chosen for a princess role.  They still continue to go back because they love it.  Their dedication was truly inspiring.  How often do I feel like giving up because the road I’ve chosen isn’t easy?  Sometimes, often times, the best things in life aren’t easy.  And it’s not even really about how far we get, but it’s more about who we become along the way.

I am so grateful for the influence Disney has had on my life.  In fact, I think that my love for Belle probably affected my love for reading and, by extension, writing.  I’ve always been that quirky book lover who may not always fit in…and I’m okay with that. :)

My encouragement to you is to take Walt Disney’s advice: “…Keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things…”

You never know where it may lead you, even when things don’t go the way you had hoped.
-Ciera





After the audition, some friends and I went to the
Magic Kingdom and had lunch at the Be Our Guest restaurant!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love Disneyworld so much! The food at Be Our Guest is AMAZING!!! I love the roast beef sandwich. That's so cool you auditioned for a Disney princess! Keep trying! :P What did you eat at Be Our Guest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of obsessed with Disney, too. ;) The first time I went to Be Our Guest was right after I graduated - and it was brand new! This time, I got the quinoa salad, which was fantastic!

      Delete