Christianity

Let Me Be a Woman Book Review

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Greetings!

I wanted to share with you an amazing book by Elisabeth Elliot called Let Me Be a Woman.   It was given to me by a dear friend and I have only now gotten around to blogging about it.  The book is short and succinct — but life changing.  Elliot offers words of wisdom on the meaning of womanhood and shares that in order to learn who we are as women, we must start with the One Who made us.

She unabashedly discusses marriage and singleness, submission to authority and the inherent differences between masculinity and femininity.  In an age of feminism, this book is a beautiful reminder of the gift of sexuality, the gift of individuality and relationships.  Men and women are not "equal" in today's terms.  They each have their own particular place, their own gender-specific roles and responsibilities.

Ephesians 5:24 says, "Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."

This book has changed my perspective on femininity.  Being a woman doesn't mean that I must be weak or unintelligent.  I can be a wife and a mother and still have a college degree and pursue my own aspirations.  I do not believe that submission to my future husband's authority will be stifling to my own identity.

Elliot writes on the subject, "Acceptance of the divinely ordered hierarchy means acceptance of authority — first of all, God's authority and then those lesser authorities which He has ordained.  A husband and wife are both under God, but their positions are not the same.  A wife is to submit herself to her husband.  The husband's 'rank' is given to him by God...The mature man acknowledges that he did not earn or deserve his place by superior intelligence, virtue, strength or amiability.  The mature woman acknowledges that submission is the will of God for her, and the obedience to this will is no more a sign of weakness in her than it was in the Son of God when He said, 'Lo, I come — to do Thy will, O God.'"

Elliot continuously brings marriage back to its utmost purpose as a way of worshipping the Lord.  Over and over, she makes the point, as outlined by Paul in Ephesians 5, that marriage parallels the love of Christ for the church.  As followers of Jesus, we are the church of Christ...we are His bride.  And there is no greater love than the Lord's as He hung from Calvary's tree for our transgressions.  In drawing the comparison, Paul imposed the heaviest burden on men, saying they must love their wives as Christ loved the church and that, in turn, wives must submit to their husbands as they submit to God.

Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her..."

How beautiful is that?  For someone who has always dreamed of a beautiful white wedding, this book was a wake up call.  Marriage is no longer about me.  Marriage is a way to honor God.  Even a better way to understand His incomparable love and amazing grace.

So whether you are young and single, married or widowed, this book will touch your life and help you understand your beauty as a woman.

I highly recommend this book.

With love,
Ciera

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I agree--this book is life-changing. I read it as a young wife, and I wished so much that I had read it during my dating years. Elizabeth Elliot is one of my favorite teachers. There is a site called "blue letter bible" that has lots of podcasts of her lectures on it for free. Also great. Keep up the great work on your fab blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! I greatly appreciate it - and I will definitely check out that site! :)

    ReplyDelete