Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina

Monday, August 06, 2012

Bonjour!

Today has been a productive day. :)  I woke up early, had my coffee and read in 2 Corinthians.  Then I promptly began work I had been putting off...I sent a manuscript-in-process to an editor at WinePress publishing who offered to read my work and give a free consultation!  Then I filled out a job application for Barnes & Noble.  I'm trying to find a part time job for the school year, possibly there or Chick-fil-A.

Then...I realized it was only ten in the morning.  I didn't have anything planned until four, when I have a coach appointment at the YMCA.  And I thought, "Well, what will I do with myself now?"

So...surprise, surprise....I picked up a book.  It's a rather old book, one I've heard many wonderful (and some not so wonderful) things about.  It's a book that I believe every English major should read at some point in their career.


Anna Karenina.

This has been on my "to-read" list for quite some time.  But I was reminded of it when I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie production starring Keira Knightley as the title role.  So, I picked up the book this morning and began.

I must say, it's rather long.  Probably twice the length of a Jane Austen novel.  And I know that this book has roused controversy over Tolstoy's hostility towards society and ethical values.  But I find this story to be fascinating for the very fact that it has provided so much dissension.  Any writer who can do that and still leave a lasting impression must be noteworthy, in my opinion.

For those of you who haven't read the book, Anna Karenina is a young socialite woman who takes up an affair with the affluent Count Vronsky.  Their covert romance threatens to damage their social positions and the reputation of Anna's husband who is a government official.   In the end, they must choose between love and loyalty, passion and morality, happiness and social standing.

To me, this is a Russian version of The Scarlet Letter, another of my favorite books.  It also reminds me of Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome, a fabulous novella I highly recommend to any avid reader.

But it leads me to a very important question.

Is Anna and Vronsky's love justified?  What about Hester Prynne and Dimmesdale, especially considering that her real husband has been missing for years?

Is there ever a situation when such a relationship is justified?  Why or why not?

I would love your input!

-Ciera

You Might Also Like

0 comments