CBA Convention

Monday, July 16, 2012

Today has been a good day!  My father took me to the International Christian Retail CBA convention.  I took the first step in IMMERSING myself into the literary industry — not just as an artist but as someone who is intending to make writing her career.  I had the incredible privilege of meeting many influential people in the business and it was an invaluable experience.

But one thing I noticed while walking the convention hall was how many people really want to write.  Multiple people came up to me and started reciting a clearly memorized sales pitch about their book and how they're having a signing and so forth.

Have you noticed how many books are on the shelves when you go into Barnes and Noble?  There are thousands of people who dream of writing and having book signings.

I believe our culture has found itself in a churning tsunami of information.  We're drowning in facts, overwhelmed by data.  We are absorbed in a torrent of words and we can only rarely come up for breath.  Just think about it...as soon as we wake up, we face printed words - advertisements, the news, magazines, billboards on the way to school or work.  And because these printed words are everywhere and information is so easily retrievable, we so often take it for granted.  It loses its value.

In this stream of media, we must use these new tools and utilize this technology to let our voices be heard.  If we have something to say, we should find our platform and speak out.

Speaking of which, I'm reading this amazing book called Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt.  I highly recommend it to any aspiring (or veteran) writer! http://michaelhyatt.com/

So here I go on my own writing journey.  Thus I embark on the road so many have taken before me.  And as I strive for creativity, I will always remember the words of one of my favorite writers, C. S. Lewis: “Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.”

Write on!

-Ciera

You Might Also Like

0 comments